You’ve heard about the “mommy makeover” – Now learn about treatment customized to you in NYC
Just as no two makeovers on TV or featured online are the same, mommy makeover treatment in NYC at the office of Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Edmund Kwan is customized to your specific needs. The “mommy” part of the “makeover treatment” comes from the general desire patients have to treat many common post-childbirth complaints. You don’t have to “learn to live” with a body that you’re uncomfortable with, that isn’t you, and that doesn’t seem to respond to the “go-to” means of fat reduction: healthy diet and exercise. The complaints mothers want to treat are often not responsive to traditional weight loss tactics.
- Extra or lax skin in the lower abdomen
- Stretch marks
- Deflated or saggy breasts
No matter how much you exercise or how well you eat, weight loss alone won’t address laxity. You can lose the pounds and still have loose skin that doesn’t conform to your body. Even if fat is the issue, not all fatty pockets are created equal. Some fat, such as that around the hips or love handles, is notoriously stubborn and doesn’t respond well to exercise or nutritional changes. This is when professional intervention at Edmund Kwan, MD comes into play. Dr. Kwan and his team offer surgical and nonsurgical options that safely make a noticeable difference in your physique while also restoring your confidence. While the mommy makeover is unique to you, there are some procedures that are commonly associated with it because they improve excess around the abdomen or unwanted changes to breast tissue – the lingering issues many women struggle with after childbirth. In fact, laxity can become an even bigger challenge in the face of sizeable weight fluctuations.
These procedures, which are performed safely at Dr. Kwan’s AAAASF certified ambulatory surgical facility in New York City, include:
- Tummy tuck (or abdominoplasty)
- Breast lift or mastopexy
- Breast augmentation or enlargement
- Breast reduction
The above treatments may be combined to restore your full pre-baby glory. For example, if excess abdominal fat and laxity are issues, the tummy tuck may be combined with liposuction. Liposuction involves suctioning out the fat, while abdominoplasty tightens underlying tissues. Liposuction may also be used to reduce other areas, such as the hips, “muffin top,” thighs, and backside. Breast augmentation with implants may be combined with a breast lift. Likewise, hormonal and tissue-oriented changes can cause breasts to remain larger than you’re comfortable with and may require reduction surgery. Some of these surgical treatments have the added benefit of improving the appearance of stretch marks.
To ensure you’re a happy mommy post-makeover, it’s important to consider many factors that can affect the long-term results:
- Your past (and future) pregnancy plans — While you wanted to see changes yesterday, it’s important to wait at least six months before undergoing mommy-tucks or related types of procedures. Likewise, it’s critical to consider your future goals and if major weight-oriented fluctuations, including those brought on by additional pregnancies, are on the horizon.
- Specific goals – The more you can explain about your vision for your post-baby body to Dr. Kwan, the better. Doing so allows the surgeon to recommend the most appropriate procedures and techniques to meet your unique preferences and wants.
- Weight loss – Every surgical procedure carries some amount of risk. By partnering with a Board-certified surgeon with a certified surgical facility, those risks are dramatically reduced. Your health also plays a big role. The healthier you can be before surgery, the more predictable your outcome. It’s always a great idea to reach your health goals, including a goal weight, before moving on with a mommy makeover or other treatments. This approach ensures the best results and minimizes the risk of complications.
As an Asian plastic surgeon, Dr. Kwan is accustomed to helping a diverse array of patients reach their goals. Many of our patients who get procedures that fall under the “mommy makeover” category, also get a wellness boost. They’re motivated to keep those restored curves with lifestyle changes. Time may march on, but you can slow it down.