Forehead contouring surgery in the NYC tri-state areaForehead contouring, also called reshaping or remodeling, is a surgical procedure that improves the facial appearance and profile. Dr. Edmund Kwan, renowned ethnic plastic surgeon, offers this and many other unique procedures at all three of his practices, located in Manhattan, Flushing, and New Jersey.
What is forehead contouring surgery?
When you think of defining and memorable facial features, your thoughts likely go to the eyes and smile, or maybe a shapely nose. In truth, we rarely notice the forehead, although it composes about one-third of a person’s face. Furthermore, it has a considerable effect on the appearance of the eyes.
A high, prominent, chiseled forehead gives the eyes and entire face a masculine appearance. Alternately, a smaller, smoother, gently rounded forehead creates a soft and feminine look. Many people are not naturally blessed with either ideal shape. Instead, they might have wide, flat, or sunken foreheads. Thankfully, various types of forehead contouring techniques can correct these and other aesthetic concerns.
What is Vectra H1 3D imaging?
The VECTRA® H1 handheld imaging system brings clinical-quality 3D imaging to any practice. It delivers precision optics for high-resolution 3D images in an intuitive, lightweight and easy to handle image capture system. Ideal for facial aesthetics, clinical documentation, and more, it's completely self-contained with integrated flash and ranging lights, the VECTRA H1 is ready to go with minimal staff training.
Have you ever looked in the mirror, and tried to visualize how your face might look after forehead augmentation or reduction? Perhaps you have used photo editing software or filters to touch-up your appearance before posting pictures on social media. Of course, you know that neither your imagination nor Photoshop can accurately predict surgical results.
Now imagine something that can, in three-dimensional detail, simulate the appearance of your face after forehead contouring or any other procedure. That program exists, and it is called Vectra H1. Dr. Kwan uses it during consultation and treatment planning. You can view expected results from various angles and compare them to your current appearance and facial structure. All of this is shown on-screen, using digital imagery, so that you can feel confident in your decision.
According to a survey by Medisetter, seven in ten people find a rounded forehead more aesthetically appealing than a flat or sunken one. People of any race may have flatter foreheads, though the problem is more common among certain ethnicities. This is the most common reason that people choose forehead augmentation. However, some men feel that their foreheads are too small, and they might seek augmentation in order to achieve a more masculine appearance.
Dr. Kwan utilizes an innovative technique to build up and sculpt the forehead, using a synthetic bone cement. The human body easily accepts this type of material, and it functions like natural bone tissue. During the procedure, he will create one or more incisions to access frontal bone, and then apply a small amount of bone cement. The location of incisions will vary, depending on your needs.
Women who have noticeably protruding foreheads may feel that their faces appear too masculine. Additionally, men who have unusually large foreheads may feel self-conscious due to their disproportionate features. In either case, reduction and sculpting of the frontal bone can be a good solution.
This type of reduction is not to be confused with a traditional brow lift procedure, which only addresses soft tissue. Recontouring involves creating an incision, and then cutting or grinding the bone as needed to improve the forehead size and create an optimal shape.
Forehead contouring surgery Before and After Photos
*Individual results may vary
How the procedure is performed
- Dr. Kwan begins with a personalized consultation. He will inquire about why you want to have plastic surgery, exactly what you dislike about your appearance, and what you hope to achieve. Then he will explain the available options, using 3D imaging software to show you what changes plastic surgery can make. If you decide that forehead contouring is the right choice, the doctor and his team will proceed with treatment planning.
- The actual procedure is performed with anesthesia, to ensure patient comfort. The exact steps depend on what type of contouring you choose. Generally, the incision is along the hairline or temples, to be easily disguised
- Once Dr. Kwan accesses the frontal bone, he will place synthetic cement, cut away certain portions, use a burr to reduce the size, or some combination thereof. Some patients may need a bit of augmentation to create a softly rounded brow, along with reducing and smoothing other areas, in order to achieve the desired result
- We will provide complete pre-operative and post-operative instructions, as well as being available to answer questions that you may have. Typically, we schedule one or several follow-up appointments to ensure that you are healing and recovering as expected.
The VECTRA® H1 3D imaging by Dr. Kwan
Side effects, complications, and recovery
There is some risk of complications with any kind of surgery, anywhere on your body. However, with forehead contouring treatment from Dr. Kwan, the risk is quite low. He takes great care to screen all patients, ensuring that they are healthy enough for surgery. Due to his extensive experience and expertise, he has excellent judgement in location of incisions, the amount of bone to alter, and other essential factors. He uses very precise, safe, proven techniques with excellent outcomes.
What should you expect after surgery?
- Common side effects may include swelling and bruising at the surgical site, and possibly in the eyelid area. Some patients also experience numbness or soreness. Generally, these effects go away within a couple of weeks.
- You will likely need a few days of downtime, but recovery is very fast because the incisions are quite small.
- We will give you complete instructions for post-operative care, and it is important to follow them closely.
Why choose Dr. Kwan for forehead contouring surgery
There is a small number of plastic surgeons who offer facial bone revision procedures such as forehead contouring, jawbone reduction, or cheekbone reduction. These procedures require very specific skills, an in-depth knowledge of the craniofacial anatomy, and an understanding of certain features unique to various ethnicities.
Dr. Kwan has all the above-mentioned credentials, and then some. He has trained in craniofacial reconstruction, aesthetic ethnic plastic surgery, and a variety of specific advanced techniques. Additionally, these are not procedures that he learned recently or that he performs infrequently. Ethnic plastic surgery has been a fundamental part of his practice since he became a Board-certified plastic surgeon over twenty years ago.
In addition to his clinical expertise, Dr. Kwan’s patients benefit from beautiful and comfortable surroundings, friendly, knowledgeable staff, and competitive pricing. Furthermore, he has three practice locations for ultimate convenience.
What our patients say
Dr Kwan understood what I wanted my face to look like, and worked with those results in mind, including the right follow-up procedures to maximise the results I wanted. I'm very pleased with the results and the convenience of having the procedures done at the same location as the consultations. The staff are very friendly and Dr Kwan is a skilled surgeon in whom I can fully trust.
_____ Read More
Schedule a consultation to see for yourself
The best way to find out if you are a good candidate for forehead contouring surgery is a consultation with Dr. Kwan. He will be happy to answer your questions, discuss options, and use Vectra imaging so that you can see potential results.
Just call any of our offices to schedule. Contact us at 212 734 4488 (Manhattan), 201 947 3636 (New Jersey), or 718 661 4580 (Flushing).