Jawbone reduction surgery in the NYC tri-state areaMen and women who have particularly large, broad jaws tend to look square-faced, which can negatively affect their self-image and confidence. Dr. Edmund Kwan is one of the few plastic surgeons in the nation who offers jawbone reduction surgery, and he is among the most qualified. He has three convenient practice locations, with offices in Fort Lee, New Jersey, Manhattan, New York, and Flushing, Queens, New York.
What is jawbone reduction?
Large, angular, protruding jaws can make the entire face appear disproportionate. They tend to create a square shape that detracts from features in the upper face, and obscures those in the lower face. In some cases, a wide jaw makes the chin virtually disappear.
Jawbone reduction surgery, also called jaw shaving or jaw contouring, is a procedure that reduces oversized jaws, creating harmony among facial features. It improves the overall appearance and shape of the face by slimming and softening the lower portion.
Jawbone reduction surgery Before and After Photos
*Individual results may vary
About the jawbone reduction procedure
This procedure is popular among both men and women. Male patients prefer the appearance of larger, more defined bone structures, but do not want overly square jaws that skew the appearance of other features. Most female patients are looking for delicate, slender, soft facial features. However, each patient has a unique vision of ‘ideal,’ and Dr. Kwan begins by learning exactly what outcome the patient is seeking. He uses three-dimensional imaging software to help patients see what is possible, and to help him understand their goals.
There are different techniques, and Dr. Kwan will choose the best one based on your current jaw structure. The most common are:
- Access from inside the mouth – The incision is near the molars, inside of the mouth. This technique is usually preferable, because it eliminates any potential for external scarring. Additionally, there is little risk of damage to nerves in the area.
- Access from outside the mouth – In some cases, the incision may be located externally, near the angular portion of the jaw.
About Vectra imaging
The VECTRA® H1 handheld imaging system brings clinical-quality 3D imaging to any practice. It delivers precision optics for high-resolution 3D images in an intuitive, lightweight and easy to handle image capture system. Ideal for facial aesthetics, clinical documentation, and more, it's completely self-contained with integrated flash and ranging lights, the VECTRA H1 is ready to go with minimal staff training.
Every treatment begins with a personal consultation, aesthetic facial analysis, and discussion of options. Dr. Kwan wants to ensure that every patient makes an informed decision with realistic expectations. He takes great care to explain any risks, potential complications, likely results, and available alternatives. Vectra H1 three-dimensional imaging is an important part of this process.
We will take a few pictures of your face from different angles, using a special type of camera. The Vectra system uses those pictures to render a detail-accurate 3D image of your face. It can simulate the appearance of changes in dimensions, increased or decreased volume, and other adjustments. This allows Dr. Kwan to show you a “preview” of likely results before you commit to treatment.
Other jaw shaping procedures
Dr. Kwan offers a full range of treatment options, which include:
- Minor surgical contouring – Some patients only require a small amount of jawbone reduction. In these cases, Dr. Kwan may grind or shave a bit of bone, rather than cutting it. The process and incision locations are similar to full jawbone reduction, but the procedure is more minor.
- Jaw augmentation – Although disproportionately large jaws are a common complaint, some people have the opposite problem. Augmentation is especially popular with male patients, who may feel that unusually small jaws make them appear too feminine.
- Correction of asymmetry – In some cases, the size or shape of the jaw differs from one side to the other. This makes the individual’s entire face appear disproportionate and asymmetrical. Reduction, augmentation, shaping, or a combination of techniques can restore symmetry to the jawline, and therefore to the face.
- Nonsurgical jaw shaping – Dr. Kwan’s wide range of skills are not limited to surgical procedures. He is exceptionally skilled in providing injectables and other non-surgical aesthetic procedures. Some people don’t want surgery, or they are not good candidates. For these patients, Dr. Kwan may recommend Botox injections, which soften muscles to give the jawline a slimmer, softer, more contoured appearance.
The VECTRA® H1 3D imaging by Dr. Kwan
What our patients say
I had jawbones and cheekbones reduction with Dr. Edmund Kwan about 2 months ago. He has absolutely done an amazing job, the operation was very successful. I did a lot of research before going into his office, and I was pretty scared of the cases that I read online of people who got their face or nerves damaged. However, I was no longer scared after the consultation with Dr. Kwan because of his confidence, and he knew what he was doing.
For Dr. Kwan’s office, everything was clean, professional and well-organized. Other staff is nice, and professional, too.
Overall, I’m happy with everything, and I definitely recommend Dr. Edmund Kwan.
_____ Read More
Jawbone reduction side effects, aftercare, and recovery
The average recovery time is a few weeks, though this will vary depending on the technique used and the amount of bone removed. Side effects may include temporary bruising, swelling, and numbness.
Dr Kwan will discuss aftercare and give you complete instructions, including:
- For the first few days, sleep with your head elevated.
- Gently rinse your mouth frequently through the day. The doctor will recommend the best type of mouthwash to minimize the risk of infection.
- Eat soft foods for the first couple of weeks.
Why choose Edmund Kwan, M.D.
Dr. Kwan is a Board-certified plastic surgeon with more than 20 years of experience. He offers a full range of services, catering to patients of all ethnicities. His background includes training from Dr. Robert Flowers, who was one of the pioneers in ethnic plastic surgery. Additionally, he studied reconstructive craniofacial surgery at Johns Hopkins Medical Center’s Baltimore Shock Trauma Center. Very few physicians in the nation have this level of training and experience in complex procedures such as jawbone reduction.
Patients appreciate the elevated level of customer service, comfortable and inviting offices, and convenience of three offices in the tri-state area. Although some people expect his expertise and premium practice locations to drive up costs, Dr. Kwan takes pride in providing top-of-the-line services at competitive prices.
Is jawbone reduction right for you?
If you are considering jawbone reduction or any other plastic surgery, please visit for a consultation. You can count on Dr. Kwan for honest answers, expert advice, and the unique benefit of seeing simulated results before treatment.
No matter what your aesthetic concerns and goals may be, Dr. Kwan is sure to have a beautiful solution. To schedule an appointment, call 212 734 4488 for the Manhattan office, 718 661 4580 for the Flushing office, or 201 947 3636 for the New Jersey office.